Maybe you have heard the expressions: go the extra mile, make a little extra effort, one more step! Whenever it is appropriate; you should always do more than you are asked to do. Even if you are not asked, you can always go out of your way to help someone but be careful not to force on your help when it is not welcome.
What do you think will happen to you and your self-esteem if you always do your best and more in everything you do? Most likely you will feel good about yourself. If you constantly put an extra effort in whatever you undertake. You will reap rewards in the form of recognition, promotions, friends, pride in your work, and self-satisfaction and gratitude. If you sow only positive thoughts in your mind, you are bound to reap a harvest of abundance, success and satisfaction.
The stretch and extra effort will do you good and will build your self-confidence. You will be stretching yourself in a way that is beneficial for you when you walk that extra mile, when you put out that little extra effort, when you hang in there just a little longer. The more you reach out by extending yourself, the more you will grow and the more people you will influence with positive results. The following are some ideas for extending yourself which are good exercises for the mind and spirit:
- Work a little longer than you have to.
- Go out of your way to help someone regularly.
- Volunteer to do something for others or some charitable organizations, without expecting anything in return.
- Be extra understanding and loving to your family, parents and friends.
- Put in a little more time to educate yourself.
- Give a little gift to someone for no special reason.
- Extend a welcome hand to a new neighbor, colleague or acquaintance.
- Visit someone who is sick or in need of someone to talk to.
- Phone someone you have been thinking about for a long time.
- Compliment someone for his or her clothes, hair, smile, work, effort, patience, skills, etc.
There are many other ways in which you can walk the extra distance in life. Practice some of these on a regular basis. You can choose which way you wish to put the extra effort that best suits your circumstances. It may stretch your comfort zone and sometimes you may not even be appreciated. When you put the extra effort, don’t expect immediate results. Be willing to assume greater responsibilities. Strive to deliver high quality products, goods and services at all times. You can literally set your own salary by the quality of your work.
Be generous with your smiles and praises to others. People who consistently put extra effort in their work as well as in their personal life; command attention and respect. Inevitably their efforts are recognized and they reap the rewards of their labor. I urge you to put the extra effort when you are playing and laughing with your children, when you are romancing your spouse, when you are educating yourself, and when you are working on your plans for your major goals. By putting the extra effort throughout your life’s journey, the outcome of your endeavors will amaze you. Whatever you sow, you will reap!
How are you putting the extra effort in your personal and professional life?